7/18/14

How to depot NARS eye shadows with floss (no heat)

For years I've struggled with the idea of depotting my beloved NARS eye shadows. I'd love to have them all in one, easy-to-access spot where I can work from multiple shades at once to create a look without having to to open each NARS compact that I own to find exactly what I need. For one, you can't see inside of them (they all look alike from the outside), and my biggest struggle can be with the names. I obviously don't have them all memorized and especially with the duos, remembering the exact duo of shades inside can be difficult.
While I've been really comfortable with depottting MAC shadows in the past, I am not so familiar with depotting NARS shadows. Everything I've seen about the subject suggests a lighter is the only way to go.  Burning a hole through the bottom of the packaging and subjecting my family and myself to burning plastic fumes isn't really my cup of tea.
So I've been skeered.

So when I discovered that I could do this without heat by sliding floss between the pans and the packaging, (and that it was actually super easy), I couldn't resist sharing.


I'm so excited to finally put my Z Palette to use with this project!  While I depotted two NARS duos during this tutorial, I had amazing luck with every single NARS shadow I own. I'll share an update video soon and show you how the entire palette turned out. It will sort of be a way to share with you guys my complete NARS eye shadow collection as well.

So if you're curious about how I do this, check out my video tutorial below!


Products Mentioned:


16 comments:

  1. So useful, thank you and congrats on the new addition to your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great idea, thanks for sharing <3

    http://ranosalman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you please tell me where you got the cute top from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a cool idea. I've tried depotting shadows and what not before and have literally shattered tons. I feel like this way will be so so easy and successful!

    -briannalyxo.
    briannaly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing this! I struggle with depotting things in general, so I'll give this a try, as it seems a lot easier.

    http://youarebeaut.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so neat! I don't have any Nars eyeshadows right now, but in the past I've had a few and they're gorgeous. Thanks for sharing this tip (:

    Krissy | www.sheetstoshimmer.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! Your blog is so great! I'm totally in love with it. Maybe you want to check out this great page when I found a lot of awesome tips: http://www.thefashionistyle.com/2014/07/lou-grey-concept-store.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much smarter than using heat. I've put off doing any of this because I could see myself burning the whole thing and/or ruining my makeup. thanks for the tip!
    Rebecca @ Hello Creative Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE this. I was just looking at the palettes earlier today. I can't wait. What size palette did you get? Are they available in the store? hehehe sorry 20 questions!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The timing of this post is perfect! I just picked up the Dolomites duo and I can't wait to depot so it will take up less space in my already cramped vanity.

    Izzique | For beauty and lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a clever idea that I will definitely be using in the future. & congratulations on the bundle of joy xo

    Jessica
    the way to my Hart

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to know I am not the only one using dental floss to depot my makeup! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the NARS pallet in the photo above the video. I'm at the NARS site trying to figure out which pallet it is. The burgundy shadow looks like it's from the Brousse pallet and the coppery shadow looks liike it's from the Kuala Lumpur pallet. Tiffany mentions the Brousse one. Does anyone have any ideas? I would love to get the pallet in the photo. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was awesome! I wonder it the same technique would work with other shadows?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really love your blog. The makeup looks awesome. Are those semi permanent makeup brows? they look perfect!

    ReplyDelete