6/19/14

Foyer changes... Adding privacy, texture, and a new (old) rug

Lots of changes have happened in our foyer over the last few months. Well, namely to the front door.
This is how it all looked originally (well, in the midst of having the gold/brown faux-finished walls painted bright white).


I knew I wanted the foyer area to be bright and open and for the walls to be very white, which isn't something I did throughout the rest of the house. I wanted it to be bright and airy. The key to going white without looking blah is to add some contrast. The floors, stair treads, and chandelier were already pretty dark, but shortly after the new paint was completed, I painted the french doors black, which to this day is one of my favorite projects I've done here.  It really helped the foyer look more balanced and pulled together.

But as you can see from the photo above, the wall with the front door was a sea of bright white. White blinds, white door, white trim and walls. It was kind of blah.  So shortly after painting the french doors, I painted the inside of the front door a deep glossy black, which I loved. Problem was, it looked a bit "stark" against all the white, especially the blinds on the sidelights. I had never been a fan of those anyway, so one day I just decided to remove them. It really made the entire door look so much better.

Here's where things got a bit crazy...haha.  I started experimenting a bit and painted the sidelights the same black as the door which I really liked.  Now this was something I didn't really hesitate much with because eventually, we'd like to replace the entire front door- sidelights, transom, and all, with thick, dark, warm-toned wood double doors.  We've seen other homes around us do that and it's gorgeous. But I still like my black door, so for now, we're good. But I didn't feel so bad about playing around with painting it because I know it's not going to be here forever.

Problem was... we had zero privacy at night with the sidelights. We're off the road a bit, but I still get creeped out by bare windows.  So we played around with some little sidelight curtains (which we hated), window film (which was a pain...and which we hated), and left it bare for a long while. After scouring Pinterest, I was inspired to hang some pretty sheer curtains around that area and I love how it turned out!



I skipped painting the transom (window along the top of the door) for now, because I wanted it to still flow with the matching transom above the french doors right next to it. Didn't want one black and one white, ya know? Definitely would have painted the whole thing black if the other white transom wasn't so closeby (and I still might). So I'm just not sure.


Now I will say, some of the inspiration photos of "front door drapery" on Pinterest were... well, not good. Some were awesome. So I was afraid this could go either way. But what I found to be the distinguishing factor between the two is how high you hang the rod. All the photos I saw of rods basically "laying" along the top of the door looked no bueno to me. So I raised it a bit. Also, I didn't really like the look of a typical Target-type cafe curtain rod along the top. Because the door isn't really a window, obviously. So I wanted to make it a bit different.
So I had a custom-sized, clear lucite curtain rod made from Etsy.


Lucite/acrylic rods sag so much in the middle from their own weight, so I added another bracket in the center (you can't really tell, but I got these in a "brushed brass" finish so it's actually not too terrible looking). Love the look of lucite and brass. However, I'm considering painting the area of the bracket that touches the wall and the area that reaches out to the rod the same color as the wall so it's not so "in your face". I like the little part that goes around the rod itself though. Another project for another day...
As for the brackets themselves, I got them for a few dollars on ebay.

The curtains are from Curtainworks. Super affordable. They are the "Soho Voile Pinch-Pleat Curtain Panels". I put two on each side for more fullness.

After I took this photo, I realized the left side covered one of our motion detectors for our security system down here so to avoid any middle of the day or night false alarms from moving curtains, I moved them inward a few inches on that one side. Something to think about if you are considering this near a front door where motion detectors usually live.

You may have also noticed the (huge) curtain hold backs...

I found these on Overstock and kind of love them. At first, they freaked me out because of the size, but I think the size and the dark color really adds more balance and more contrast to the whole wall. Since these curtains are pretty "fixed" at the top and don't slide easily, I thought pushing them back during the day against a hold back would be easier than sliding the curtains back and forth all the time. It's really so much easier and I love the look so much better.

When the sidelight windows were bare for so long, we got used to the windows being totally open during the day which we love (Waylon does too).


Puppy nose prints all over those bottom windows... all. the. time.

So for us, this is a good solution that gives us both the open-ness during the day and the privacy at night. Plus, we found that when they're just hanging without hold backs, they get sucked out of the door when it opens. At night, we just pull them out from behind the hold backs, and they fall in front of the sidelights just right. Plus, I just love the texture they added to the room. It made it feel cozier, but still open due to the sheerness. Loving them.

Oh... and a few more quick changes...


I swapped the big black rug in the foyer with this pretty jute/seagrass-looking one we've had FOREVER.

Seriously this was probably the first "big" rug I ever purchased. I got it years ago at Target when we moved into our first house (ours is the 5x7 version). It lived under our kitchen table and took a beating. It was also right next to the back door at that house (think Waylon running inside with muddy paws all over it constantly).  It always cleaned really well and has gotten better and softer with age.  It lived in our basement for a while after moving here and I even purchased a similar, larger version with a black border to go under our dining room table. It's not as soft as this one, though. This rug is very similar to the Pottery Barn version, and is a fraction of the cost.

Anyway, I switched out the black rug that was here before...


...mainly because of the constant vacuuming with Waylon. Oh, if Golden Retriever hair was a valuable commodity...
Basically he sheds like a monster and there were many embarrassing moments when I would open the door to an unexpected neighbor, friend, etc. and say "Come on in! and don't look at the dog hair-covered rug".  Being greeted with more dog hair than is on the actual dog is never good. This thing just magnified it far more than I thought it would. I try to vacuum the rugs at least once every 3 days and sweep up the hair on the hardwoods with a dust mop every day or every other day. But it still gets totally out of control. Also, something to think about if you're wanting a Golden Retriever...haha. They're totally worth it though.

So that rug is in the basement now. It totally should have been all along because it's perfect down there! I'll do a basement update post soon because SO much has changed down there and the big empty room is no longer empty... ;)

Oh, and we're loving the "new" one in the foyer so much. It looks better overall and puppy's hair blends right in. ;)

Frankie the fig lives where the chair used to be, right in the curve of the stairs.


I've moved this poor guy around more times than I can count at this point, but I figured this would be the best place for lots of sunlight and TONS of room to grow. I mean he'll probably move again next week, so don't hold me to this.

He had really began to block the doorway to my office/living room more than we could stand, so now it's nice to be able to open both doors and have it feel so much more open.


Here's a good before-and-after for ya...


Wait, wait... Let's do a major before....



























Oh and I may or may not have started pulling up the carpeting on the stairs! Didn't find great things under there...haha. There are beautiful curved stair treads (that match the edges) beneath it, but the side against the white trim along the left on both parts (even the little landing curve) aren't flush against the wall. The carpeting is covering a HUGE gap. So I'm not sure what we need to do. I may have to call in a pro to trim it out correctly, then I can *hopefully* do the rest myself. We shall see... I'll keep you posted!

Have a great rest of the week!

43 comments:

  1. Love the white transoms. Our dog is a golden doodle... but he's black. I hear you about the hair. Unreal. So the black carpet would be welcome here! It's really an elegant space, Tiffany. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! It's so funny when you get used to one color of dog hair... I can't imagine what black hair would look like all around here! It would blend in more seamlessly with our dark flooring though... ;)

      Delete
  2. Your house is perfect! That rug is looks so good!

    blousesandbush.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking about painting the inside of out front door black now and not wait till we can afford to swap out all the other completely falling apart doors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you clean the seagrass rug? I haven't had much luck with seagrass rugs cleaning well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well it looks like seagrass, but it really feels like woven chenille (but much tougher). I always clean it (spot clean it) with just basic spot carpet cleaner like resolve foam when it gets grungy in areas or spotted.

      Delete
  5. Your wooden floors look amazing! Also, dang. Those are some big knobs you got there for your curtains. I think your foyer transformation looks lovely, modern and classic - Parisian almost.
    Carolyn | BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just love it!!! Rhoda at Southern Hospitality did an amazing job on some up amazing stairs ~ check out her blog. She is in your area too ~ she us an amazing DIYer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tiffany, I love your entryway light, where did you get it? Have you seen similar? Love this blog! Also, you mentioned a long time ago you were going to post something about an updated ceiling fan you got from your parents (maybe for Christmas or something?) Would love to see pictures of that. It's so hard to find beautiful and functional pieces like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kat! It was there when we moved in, so I'm not sure 100%. I haven't seen anything else exactly the same (although I haven't really been looking), but I do like it! It's a pain to clean though... As I guess most similar high-hanging fixtures are. About the fan... lol an update is coming soon! (hopefully) I've been lazy about getting an electrician out here to hang it (we have to get a pro to do it that is used to hanging high fixtures since it's so high up). So just laziness on my part in setting it up. But I'm getting on that. :)

      Delete
  8. You should try the furminator dog brush. We have a golden retriever and a german shepard, it really helps to remove excess hair from the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you changed your house to this beautiful home step by step. Very impressive and a huge transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow looks great loving the black and white with the accent colours

    ReplyDelete
  11. The curtains now provide an optical illusion of more space in your foyer. In looking at the picture of the original foyer the doors to your office do appear more flush to the entrance wall. The addition of the curtains and the dimension they add to that small junction in the corner really tricks the eye and makes the opening for the office doors appear to be farther out on that wall than they actually are. If you scroll up and down between the two pictures it really does look like a whole other space. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristen! I totally didn't notice that, but you're right! Funny how different a few updates can make the same space look! I live for befores and afters... haha

      Delete
  12. Great job! Could you share paint brand and color of the door? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The door is painted with the same paint I used on the bannisters- Glidden Black Onyx in a high gloss. It's crazy how well it's held up on all the bannisters! good stuff. Oh and I get the "interior/exterior" formula

      Delete
  13. Your house looks beautiful!!!
    I love the contrast between the black and the white.
    The curtains frame the door beautifully and make the place look very breezy.
    Amazing home :)
    TarteTanya

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the curtains and lucite rod. Too bad you couldn't find a cool lucite bracket- but your taste is so classic. I should send you a picture of my foyer and get your ideas. We have an art-deco looking door with large sidelights and teakwood floors and a curving staircase that I can't seem to figure out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow it is amazing what a difference the black makes, it really ties everything together and makes it more homely! Beautiful work xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can you believe I found that same Nate Berkus rug in the runner size on clearance for just $20?! I had been wanting it ever since I saw yours and just couldn't pass up that steal of a deal. I have the same problem though in that my collie has decided it is her bed now. Too much hair to deal with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I can believe it bc a friend of mine told me they were on sale (bc she had seen my big one). Well I had my heart set on getting some to use as a runner for our basement stairs and I could not find any on clearance anywhere near me! They were all either full-priced or not marked down as much. I gave up the search...haha So annoying how all Targets don't have the same clearance items and sales.

      Delete
  17. I love this revamp!!!
    The black bought so much life and character to the entryway!
    It even looks brighter and warmer I love it!
    Love the light fitting its like a contrast of gothic and shabby chic I really like it.
    xo Holly xo

    HollyDolly. 

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your home! He's so charming, beautiful and cute! You can show the plan of the house, with the size of rooms? This house - my dream!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your home! He's so charming, beautiful and cute! You can show the plan of the house, with the size of rooms? This house - my dream!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I love your before and afters!! I usually like white and wood and don't gravitate towards black because I like light and airy, but this is definitely an exception for me! It somehow still feels light, but it also feels more connected and grounding and sophisticated/chic! And even though they shed, I sooo want a golden retriever one day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the black doors, those make such a huge difference in the whole room! You could have seriously been an interior designer it's like you know exactly what works and what doesn't! I love seeing all your home posts, well and of course the makeup ones too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW> This is just a wow transformation - I LOVE it! The painted handrailing makes a huge difference as well. But those curtains! They add so much - texture, flow, dimension, height, separation, elegance, beauty, uniqueness. I'd be hard pressed to ever want to change this beautiful space into the double door you're thinking of -- this is just too pretty to ever change!

    Also -- just want to comment how much it's appreciated that you actually DO answer reader's questions. SO many bloggers out there just ignore their reader's questions and it can come off as so rude. I know sometimes it might be just too much to answer all questions, but I truly do appreciate this when I see it in a blogger - so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw well thanks for that- I try to respond when I can... Especially here bc there's not as many comments to go through as YouTube or something like that. Plus it drives me nuts when I'm reading a blog and want an answer too (that other people have asked) and the person never responds... and they have like less than 10 comments....lol. So I feel ya.

      Delete
  23. Do you have a picture of where you've started pulling up the carpet? My family has pulled up a lot of carpet in several houses to find rather unpleasant flooring mistakes underneath so maybe it's something we've seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Tiffany,

    The foyer looks awesome. I just wanted to add my two cents about how you're on the fence about painting the windows above the doors. I say go for it.....above both doors. I agree with you that one painted and one not, wouldn't gel well. But if you paint them both out, you eliminate that problem. I love a bright airy space, so normally, I would never go for the gusto with black paint. But I have a stack of design catalogues here and one house in one of the mags had almost the same set up with it all painted black. It looked so elegant. I think it will draw your eye up visually. Go for it. It's only paint! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Seriously?!?! Tiffany you make me hate my house haha, I'm not joking when I say you should really write a book or some sort of collab with designers, idk. You have an amazing taste on decor and if I could afford a house makeover you'd definitely be my first choice, hands down. Lovely home <3 X

    | www.noirettediary.com |

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm a little jealous that you have a staircase. There's something about stairs that makes a place seem larger to me. Nice home too! :)

    Philippines properties for sale | AlveoLand

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm so glad you shared these pictures! It gives me inspiration for my house and what I can do with it. Also I love the blue and white ceramics in the entryway!

    amberbutbetter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. (gosh I hope you read this) lol

    Hi Tiffany! Your house is absolutely beautiful! I love your simple, clean and elegant style. For years I have been wanting to do my room white and grey with black accents. (sort of a Paris theme) I would like my accent wall grey to make my white furniture pop but I don’t want my room looking smaller and darker. Well, here is my problem… the lighting is absolutely horrible. My light fixture is in one corner and my tiny window is crammed in another corner. No symmetry. Anyways, I was wondering if you could maybe do a post on your blog about “how to brighten up a room” (without messing with the electrical). Maybe your other viewers would be interested in something like that as well. Anyways, thank you for your videos and blogs. They are appreciated 

    -Dallas

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's been like, a whole month since your last home decor post!! I've been itching for some updates....I will admit, these are my favorite of your posts...hope to see one soon!!

    Congrats on the baby :) It's very exciting news girly!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Natalie GalbraithJuly 22, 2014 at 5:20 PM

    I am missing your home decor posts so much... it has been more than a month! Keep checking in the hopes that one will show up soon... please!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your house is amazing, you've done such a lovely job with it. Congratulations on the pregnancy too. X

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love this. I have been thinking of painting the inside of our doir black as well. Where did you find the small black chair? Its perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I found the mirror at Ballard designs? Still looking for a similar table... any help?

      Delete
  33. Beautiful make over! Would you mind sharing where you found your round mirror and black round table? I've been on a hunt for the same items and am coming up short. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete