4/11/14

More Shade... and Some Family Room Updates!

Well last night we finished hanging the rest of the bamboo shades in the family room and kitchen.




In last week's decor post (if you're new here, I throw in at least one home decor post a week), I updated you all on our dining room... the first room we converted from regular old white blinds to bamboo shades.

Well since we needed some custom sizes for one of the large family room windows and for the window above the sink, I searched the internet for affordable custom bamboo shades (which was kind of a joke considering most sites that claimed to be "affordable" would have charged upwards of at least $400 total for six more shades we needed).  I found the holy grail of bamboo shades, y'all. Seriously.

Overstock, you are my bro for life.



I went with these, mostly in the 74" length for most of our windows (with the exception of the kitchen sink window, which I got in a 54" length).  
I'm kind of obsessed with how you can select the exact size (width) you need, down to the inch for each and every window.


Oh, hi disgusting fan blade... Calling an electrician soon to swap it out for something lovely! So naturally, I gave up on cleaning it.

Total, I spent around $160.  I had a 15% off code AND they were on sale!  But even without all that, they're so much cheaper than similar alternatives.

I think bamboo shades add a lot more to a room than standard white blinds. They add some texture and a more custom feel, I think. And yes, now those family room windows are screaming for some drapery. I actually ordered some a few days ago and I cannot wait to get them! I'll keep you posted...


Like I mentioned in my previous post about these, our backyard is very private, so we went with the unlined version. At night, you can see lights inside, but no real details.  Because of that whole privacy factor, we won't be adding these to the front of the house (especially since the front of the house has nicer, wide wooden white blinds already).


Did you notice a few other little changes??


How sweet is that little terrarium? He's actually pretty fancy... We found him at a local furniture and decor consignment shop over the weekend.  I've seen pretty terrariums (half this size) go for at least $50.  We scored this guy for $20.

I also switched up the lamps to some that I purchased from Target years back.  They were chillin' with some el cheapo-looking plain white drum shades in storage (that I believe came free with some old lamps I got from Homegoods a while back), so I ordered these pleated fabric beauties from Amazon.  I feel like they add even more texture to the room and look a bit more traditional and luxe. I like to mix it up...

Back to the terrarium... I want to put some pretty pink flowers within it. Or maybe just some pretty greenery.

Oh and did you notice another change??


Yep, I painted the back door black (I used black onyx in a high gloss by Glidden). The old plastic blinds that were there before were hiding such a beautiful door! I think the new little terrarium plays off of it well and the whole door itself sort of goes with the French doors in the foyer that lead into my office/sitting room.


Here's a better shot of the lamps...


 And one more shot of the kitchen blinds...


Pretty obsessed with these. I'm absolutely loving how this area of the house has really come together over the last few weeks with just a few new additions. What do you all think? I can't wait to get the drapery up!

Have a wonderful weekend!!

33 comments:

  1. Love the look Tiffany! Question...are you going to put a valance or anything in the kitchen window? or just keep it with the bamboo shade?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Not sure about that yet- As for right now, no, just because Waylon's food is right there and he refuses to eat anywhere else...lol. That's another story. But I'd love the look of drapery there! Maybe a valance like you mentioned would work

      Delete
    2. Maybe you meant the kitchen sink window- I probably misunderstood you ;) I was talking about the double window behind our table. Waylon's bowls are on the floor right in front of those where panels would hang. Just to clarify haha

      Delete
  2. Tiffany I love how this came together! I love your decorating style!

    http://backwoodsbarbiern.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany your home is beautiful!! I love all your decorating ideas. Stuck in a rental now, but I'll keep these ideas in mind for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry lol...yes i meant over the kitchen sink window! but good to know about Waylon's bowls ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! My grandma is a big fan of bamboo shades and she's had them for years but somehow they always look super stylish, I mean they fit perfectly with any season you know? Your home just looks super cozy <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait for the drapery to be added! I love what you have done with the house so far! :)

    Nicole :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great! I really envy your sense of home decor style, and it's always keeping me inspired :) oh...and how on earth can you reach that blasted fan!??! Holy high up batman!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What's not to love? House beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tiffany, what a lovely home! Absolutely love the new bamboo shades. I have a question... Do you leave the shades as they are or would you have a curtain over it? I am asking cause in our house we get a lot of sunlight which gets a bit intense in the summer and I have to go for blackouts behind the curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Tiffany, I'm french and I really like your posts about your home decor. Your house is both very chic and relaxing, you have so much taste ! It's very inspyring for me, I'm just very desapointed that here I have very few shops for decoration... Have a great week-end. Camille.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is like my dream home, absolutely gorgeous! X

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your entire brand. I love that you are not just dressed and made up nice for the camera and the public but that your home is well dressed as well. So often we see selfies of a well dressed person while the background of their living space looks like the aftermath of a storm. I feel that I can trust your suggestions/recommendations because you have got it together all around. Plus, you are humble with a sweet heart. God bless you. God bless Brad!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tiffany, Do you mind telling me what color you got in those shades? My living room has similar paint colors and that color blind looks fantastic. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, your home is cosy and yet so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect timing....I've been looking for custom blinds that don't cost an arm and leg. thanks for sharing ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is really starting to come together...very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your house is so cosy and chic ! Gorgeous !
    http://pinupjet.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely love your furniture and your home is gorgeous!!!!! Could you kindly let me know where you got your dining room chairs, living room chairs and couch from? I am currently looking for similar furniture and haven't had much luck. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE when you do 'house' post!!! I wish you could just come into my home and redecorate everything.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Tiffany! Your shades look great. I love the little lamps in your kitchen too, where did you get those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I got those from Target years back! I think they still may have them though.

      Delete
  21. Which shades did you purchase off Amazon?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey tiffany! Im a younique rep! Our big seller is the 3d fiber lash, it gives you the look of fake lashes with out the mess and maintenance. . I was just wondering if you would be interested in doing a review and blog about our products. in return ill give you some free product. Email me back at betteringu@gmail.com if your interested so I can give you more info :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. HI Tiffany! I love those two Topiaries you have in your Kitchen...where did you get them? I've been searching for topiaries in the TIN pots, and they are impossible to find!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Tiffany!! Your style is amazing - beautiful updates to the house! Could you tell me what the paint color is in your kitchen? Love it! Thanks =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice! I had those Style Selections blinds in my last house. Love them! Unfortunately, they don't fit the windows in my new house, so thanks for the Overstock rec. Do the Overstock ones have the hooks that you screw into the wall/casing like the SS ones? (Much easier to put up than some others I have seen.) Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Tiffany! I am Brazilian and love to Watch your home decor video,love your style.You have a beautiful house-.Could you tell me where did you get the round rug for your kitchen table:) thanks!

    ReplyDelete