6/26/13

New Foyer Progress! And Black French Doors...

So you guys may remember in my recent post about redo-ing our powder room, me mentioning that a foyer re-do was in the works.  Since the rest of our house is painted in pretty tones that I actually really love, I was dreaming of a foyer that was light, bright, and a bit modern, tying in with our more traditional house design. I knew I wanted to go with white so that the decor could really stand out. Our foyer is such a large and pretty space, that I didn't want it to be defined by a specific color. I wanted the architecture and decor to really stand out. These inspiration photos on Pinterest had me drooling...
  • I LOVE how the white walls in this space works with the dark flooring and moulding.
  • The layout of this foyer is crazy similar to ours. Just reversed. I'm loving the open feeling the lighter walls create. The lighter shade also works well with the "glam" feeling of this space.
  • This foyer is really fun.  I love how they used accessories and actual decor, rather than just slapping a fun color on the walls. The white gives you so much more possibilities!
  • This foyer is just classy and glamorous. Again, I love how the white works with all the moulding and accentuates the gorgeous rich flooring.


This is what I was working with....



Don't get me wrong... it's TOTALLY not bad. However, after living here for a few months, the gold and brown faux-finished walls began to make me itch. I actually tried to will myself to like them. But I couldn't shake the feeling I had from the first moment we walked into this house.... They looked a little dirty to me. Seriously, they don't look that bad from a distance. But up close, they looked a little smeared....and brown and gold. Not a good combo. I'll let you use your imagination.

I'm no stranger to painting rooms. Big rooms. At our old house, I completely re-finished and re-painted our kitchen cabinets by myself and repainted a lot of rooms in that house (Brad is super handy, but he's no painter, so that's my job).  I strangely enjoy it and find it therapeutic. So I guess this room just really upset me because I knew there was no way I could do it myself. There was no way I was going to risk my life painting this two-story foyer while trying to cover the faux-finish because something told me it wasn't going to be easy.  It wasn't just the foyer, it extended into an adjacent hallway and a bit of the upstairs hallway as well.
So I bit the bullet and hired out. 
Brad was convinced it was going to be thousands...  I was thinking maybe $700.  So when we got an estimate from a local painter who had repaired some outside wood when we moved in and he said $500, we immediately said "YES, WHEN CAN YOU START!?" 

Before I go on, have you guys ever actually tried to pick out the perfect shade of white paint?? Not for moulding, but for actual walls? Most difficult thing I've probably ever had to pick out. I should've taken a photo of my swatch action on the walls. At one point, I had 5 different shades painted on the walls in 3 different areas of the foyer. SO glad I did that. I wanted a true white that wasn't going to have too much contrast with the moulding. Why? Because we have a lot of moulding and trim in the foyer that is white white. So if you choose a slightly warmer, cream white, the walls will look yellow. A slightly warmer fleshy white? Looks pink. You can imagine what some of the cooler whites looked like. One white I tested looked like a true white on the swatch, but turned purple-y gray at night. No lie.
So after a lot of deciding, I went with White Truffle by Behr which is actually a shade I used at the old house in my filming/makeup room. I used that shade on the stripes below the chair rail and always loved it.  Brad loved this shade the best out of all the others we had tested too, so we went with it.
SO glad we did.  It's not too warm and not too cool and sterile looking. It's perfect.

For the painters, it was a bit of a process. Long story short, they primed and STILL had to do 4 coats in some areas to cover the faux finish. That's using a really high-quality paint and primer in one formula as well. But when they finished, it was like a big breath of fresh air.


*Technically, these were taken when it was a few coats shy of being finished in some areas.

 You can really tell it needs a few more coats in this picture below...  But it was already looking SO much better!



I think going with a white on white actually made the trim and moulding stand out more and look prettier than it did before.

I was LOVING the fresh white walls, but felt like when I looked down toward the front door and the area of French doors that lead to the living room, something was missing.

Which leads me to the next big thing I painted in the foyer which really brought it all together...  Can you guess from the Pinterest inspiration photos at the top? ...or the title of this post? haha

Black French doors, baby.
Now this could've went terribly wrong. Sometimes, I'm impulsive. I chose and bought my paint at Home Depot just from looking at paint swatches. No testing at home, no scouring Pinterest for photos of the actual paint color used in rooms. I just went with it.... and I'm SO glad I did!
I chose Black Suede by Behr which is a really soft, warm, grayed black (I went with a satin formula to help it look even softer).  I knew I didn't want a really black black because I didn't want it to look too stark against the white walls.
To me, it is THE perfect black for painting doors.




Much better huh? Such a huge difference black doors make!
Another reason this could've went terribly wrong is because at first, I was considering painting the ENTIRE door casing... Trim, transom window above, everything.  I've seen that done before and it can look awesome, but for this space, I'm glad I skipped it. I just painted the doors only.  The more I thought about it, I didn't want the transom window above the French doors to compete with the one above the front door. So I kept them both white. Glad I thought that through...  Most photos I was finding on Pinterest had done it the way I decided to (doors only) and I think for most spaces, that's the best bet.

The only thing I WISH I had for this post (I was impatient and had to share), is a pretty big green fiddle-leaf fig or banana plant to go next to the front door (or maybe one on each side?).  My goal is to pick up one (or two) of those babies this weekend.

Here's a shot of it from upstairs...


I love how it really grounded the space without looking to stark. I've actually toyed with the idea of painting the back of the front door black, but something is telling me not to. 

Here's a few shots from the other side- In the front living room/my office.  Sorry about the dark photos. This room is so hard to photograph for me.



Not loving the paint color in there. It looks a bit too yellow. It will be changing soon... I already purchased the paint! I'll keep you updated on that...

So I'm sure you have some questions on HOW I painted the French doors. It was VERY time consuming. I started off by thinking it would be easier to tape off the windows so I wouldn't have as much paint to scrape off the glass at the end. Yeah, applying the painter's tape took longer than actually painting so I gave that up about halfway through one side of one door. I NEVER use painter's tape anyway, so it was already on my last nerve. I just used a small paint tray and my little angled brush I always use to go around trim and ceilings with (I use a little brush called a Wooster Shortcut which is my fav), and started on the wood framings between the windows. I wasn't too careful around the glass because I knew I could scrape it off with a small blade made especially for scraping paint off windows for a cleaner look. I used the brush to go precisely around the doorknobs (which I didn't remove) and the hinges on the inside edge. Then I took a small foam paint roller (about 4" across) and painted the large areas of the door.
It only took two coats! I did have to go back with the brush in some areas between the windows where the brush didn't coat as well as a roller, but no biggie. To get the inside edges of the door (that are covered when closed), I just swung the doors open all the way into the living room and painted them with the brush. I made sure not to close them back until it was dry, just in case.
I didn't remove them either. I know some people make a big deal about removing the doors when painting, but for these, it would've been a waste of time since it went perfectly anyway.
If you're nervous about dripping paint, you could also spread some newspaper out below the doors to catch any drips or smears.

So that's it! It's definitely not absolutely complete, so I'll keep you all updated as it comes along! What about you guys? Any big projects you've been working on lately? Isn't it funny how a bit (or a lot) of paint can totally change things??

49 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely beautiful! I LOVE your decor style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally think you should totally paint the front door black! I think it'll really tie the two doors together. But definitely let yourself live with it for a while and make the decision later, it's a lot harder to paint over black if you hate it :( Love your taste though!

    I love your videos and blog, it's even inspired me to blog a little about fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful! I keep seeing the banister in black as well..

    ReplyDelete
  4. o wow it's sooo perfect!!!I live in a house too but it doesn't look like that.
    http://makeupbyjoanna909.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Like you, I've seen tons of pictures on Pinterest and they always look so fresh and modern. As I look over my shoulder to my white french doors.... ;)
    xo Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love the white walls, really makes your hardwood look beautiful. One thing about white walls, is people will come in and ask 'soooo, what colour are you going to paint in here?' and we have to explain that it is painted! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The doors look lovely, I love how your turning your house into a home that's exactly right for you.
    Rosalie x
    RosalieJayne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks amazing! The black doors are fantastic! I dont think you should paint the back of the front door...looks good just how it is! Can't wait to see more - loving the style of your home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely adore this. I would love to have something like this someday.

    Mana
    Fashion and Happy Things

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the banana plant(s) would look awesome! Very 1900's Kipling. I am totally using your photos as inspiration when we purchase our home. I love the modern look but am still traditional. You have the best taste in bringing the two together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! So much better. Have you thought about painting the the banister and the exposed wood on the stairs black too? Like in the pinterest shots you posted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about possibly painting the banister. Further down the hallway, we have some more banisters (same as the foyer) over the family room so I'm hesitant because I'd feel like I had to paint that too and I'm not sure how the black would look in that space. But it's totally something I've thought about! Time will tell :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I see what you mean, Tough call. I was thinking you could possibly just stain them darker, like in the second pic, but then in wouldn't match the floors. Either way, its beautiful. Glad you weren't afraid to use white. So fresh!

      Delete
  12. A girl after my own heart! I love it all! At first I questioned why the transom wasn't painted black but as I read further on what you said regarding that, it totally makes sense. It would definitely take away from the front door area. Cannot wait to see the completed room!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely ...i love that black door so much ....

    www.tansiaa26.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks fantastic! You have a wonderful eye! I would never think to use white, as it's always associated with being cold. Well, it's definitely not the way you incorporated it. Enjoy your new home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your house is pinterest worthy!

    xoxo
    Logan

    http://ourzeal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the black door! Your home is so beautiful!

    xoxo
    Stacey

    Stella & Dot Giveaway on my Blog
    Five Minute Style 

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, such a transformation!

    Carina xx
    http://www.carstina.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great Job! Love the white you chose and love the black French doors! I've seen black doors on Pinterest too and I'm seriously debating on painting our doors too. Thanks for sharing and as always I love your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Are you going to re-do the stair railing? it would look great with black iron.. and paint the step black..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks very nice and bright - good job!

    Monica, www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. The colur of the walls transformed the look so much! Looks so lovely!
    xx

    http://blairbeautyblogger.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ohhhh I love love luuuuurve the dark French doors, they turned out beautifully.
    Thank you for the post.

    http://basicallybrandy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really like this! Before I decided to paint one of my walls black, I just taped some black garbage bags in the area I was considering, just to get an idea of how fitting or distracting it could be.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have been (and still am) on the search for a perfect white. I am also about ready to smash my head through the wall while staring at my swatches.. Happy to see that you found the best white for you! White is tough, but lovely when it's right. Love your blog and love when you share your home!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The black and white look STUNNING! Elegant yet still simple.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Pretty house decor! I love the dark French doors!

    ReplyDelete
  27. i like it with the white walls a lot more!
    xx Stephanie (www.stephaniesstyleblog.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is perfect! It's more brighter, good vibes and purity! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love white!! I think it looks so chic and simple at the same time.
    xoxo
    Suzanne from written by suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautifulll! Love it. You have worked so hard and it has payed you in a great way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks great, but the banister needs to be painted now!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I really enjoy reading your home decor posts!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I say keep going with the white in the next room. But if you really want a color, a deep gray would be beautiful. And if you do high gloss, it would be the perfect modern balance with the furniture in there. Love the ottoman!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Can you PLEASE! PLEASE list the items and things you use for painting. I recently painted and in some areas it did not turn out well.

    ReplyDelete
  35. My husband painted our front doors black inside and out. I was tired of looking at bare wood on the inside. It looked country. So glad we did because they look so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  36. While the previous finish on the walls weren't bad at all, I have to agree with your preference to white. It makes the whole area appear brighter and provides a great contrast against the stair rail. I also have to say that painting the French doors black was a great idea! I think it's elegant and provides just enough drama to really make the room interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  37. You made a good decision when you chose to paint your doors black, Tiffany. It created a good contrast with your white walls and added some depth to your home. Usually, French doors and windows were colored in white to make the interior look a bit classy. But yours look sophisticated.

    Willene Fagen

    ReplyDelete
  38. I think I may be in the minority when I say I prefer the gold walls lol!

    ReplyDelete
  39. When I saw the third picture (with white flooring) I immediately thought, "Black and white marble checkerboard tiles would look AMAZING in that space!" Especially if it was laid in a diamond pattern. It would elongate that hall as well. Take a look at this link I found if you're curious: http://www.mabledesign.com/wp-content/uploads/Checkered-Tile-Textures-Photo-18-Hallway-with-Black-and-White-Checkered-Tile-290x290.jpg

    Just a thought! Beautiful home either way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love, love, love your home! It's like a dreamhouse :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. for making a home beautiful doors are plays most important roll if the doors are beautiful it makes our home very attractive and helps to increase the beauty of our home.....and door are very helpful for making the home stylist and beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  42. We normally see French doors in white, so it's great to go opposite this time. Remember that being different makes you unique sometimes! There's no doubt that you made a good decision with this one. The color black gave the whole place an audacious aura.

    Willene Fagen @ Roofing & More, Inc

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thank you so much for sharing this--I was just thinking how I need to clean the shower!
    . shower doors portland

    ReplyDelete
  44. I know about Black French Doors, this is nice information, Thanks for sharing.
    New Conservatory

    ReplyDelete