Here are my best basic tips:
- Use a primer made specifically for "blurring" pores and mattifying skin on areas of enlarged pores or where shine breaks through.
- Choose a foundation with a more matte or natural finish that is long-wearing
- Avoid loose powder to set your foundation. Choose a pressed powder that has a more natural finish and apply it sparingly.
- Choose a blush without heavy frost or shimmer
- Choose eye shadows without a lot of frost. Using all frosted eye shadows can sometimes cause them to photograph similar and wash out the color. Choose highly pigmented shades in matte formulas or ones with a light sparkle or shimmer instead.
- Don't skimp on liner or volumizing mascara! Making your lashes stand out is key in flattering your eyes in photography. Liner on your upper lashlines and volumizing mascara does the trick. You can also opt for false lashes if yours are very short or for an extra dramatic effect.
- Light contouring and highlighting can make a huge difference (see video for specific techniques)
- Choose a lip color darker than your natural lip shade with a bit of shine or shimmer