1/19/09

Bobbi Brown BRIGHTS Eye Shadow Palette REVIEW


Do you remember Hansel's "makeup kit" in Zoolander?? You know, the one he carried in his back pocket for "touch ups"?? I think it was larger than this...lol.


Honestly, I knew nothing about this palette until I saw it in my February issue of Allure. I was SALIVATING at all the bright colors. This limited edition 35-color palette retails for $70. This is what Allure had to say:

"Bobbi Brown's new Brights Palette reminds us of a sheet of candy buttons, but the 35 dots of eye shadow were inspired by something sour: what Brown calls her "ugly kit." By this, she means colors that work well on photo shoots--but not always so much in everyday life. She recommends wearing the vibrant, highly pigmented shades sparingly, with neutral colors on the lips and cheeks. "If you go through this palette quickly," Brown adds, "you're wearing it wrong." -Kayleigh Donahue



Interesting...considering the eye shadows are literally each the size of a pea. I was SHOCKED at how small this palette is. The palette itself is the size of a Blackberry Curve (lol, that's all I can compare it to!). The picture inside Allure is, no joke, actual size. I was expecting something much larger. Especially at a steep price tag of $70. I was expecting the shadows to be at least the size of a dime - similar to that of the Coastal Scents 88 palettes. I would make SUCH a mess with this palette because not many eye shadow brushes would fit over the colors without dragging into the others...unless you were super careful.

So I tested this palette (*cough* bought it and returned it) and as you can probably already tell from my description, I was disappointed. Bottom line, the colors have exceptional pigmentation, but that's about the only good thing. $70 for 35 pea sized colors?? My momma taught me better...lol. Even if they are highly pigmented, that's just too steep for me. You'll be much better off paying around $20 or so for a Coastal Scents 88 palette and you get 88 colors...that are much larger.



I was hoping for so much more :(



17 comments:

  1. wow $70 for something the size of a blackberry curve? LOL so NOT buying this palette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a review on youtube where they determined the price per gram of makeup in the palette and found that it was actually a few cents cheaper on a gram to gram basis than the shadows in MAC Dame Edna trios. I just ordered the palette and am waiting for it to arrive. I have seen it the store, it is tiny, but I still want it :>)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors look great, but that just doesnt seem worth the money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i finally returned mine too,
    posted a review here:
    http://scarletempress.blogspot.com/2009/01/bobbi-brown-brights-palette.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kind of feel like they only made this to compete with the CS palette. You know some people won't buy stuff if it's inexpensive, and so many people love the CS one. That is such an odd quote too! Strange.

    ReplyDelete
  6. is the photo on the blog the actual size?? or close?? sadness. It's so pretty looking, but I thought it was expensive from the get go. I also just can't put Bobbi Brown and bright colors together in the same thought bubble. She's always been so neutral!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, wise choice to return it! At least you can do this.In Greece there's no way anyone would give you money back!Grrr, makes me angry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually am not a fan of BB eyeshadows, but this palette has gotten me interested though when I read somewhere for the first time. But then I saw the swatches at temptalia, and now reading your experience.... Wow, thanks a lot Tiffany. You really saved my day, a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read another review on this somewhere and apparently the price per gram of product is actually lower than normal MAC eyeshadows. And 35 bobbi brown colors for $70 is still very tempting to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the zoolander reference!!! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha... I know exactly what you mean! I saw it online and got so excited! and then I went to bobbi brown and saw how small it was! Very Disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know! They are tiny. I should have known, because Bobbi doesn't like bright colors. She basically just does neutrals. You know I love her work and style but she just doesn't take risks with makeup. Her last couple books have been geared for more mature skin...

    ReplyDelete
  13. first off, i LOVE zoolander.. magnum! blue steel! hahaha 2nd, i literally saw a picture on someone's blog that shows M&M's fitting perfectly into the BB e/s palette spots. it cracked me up and i thought of u and how little u said they were!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha... I'm pretty sure these are even SMALLER than M&M's !!

    ReplyDelete
  15. "My momma taught me better...lol."

    Love your review, love your honesty...and your line I cited above is pretty much what my blog is based on!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was so irritated when I read the Allure post that I decided to not buy it based on Bobbi Brown's "ugly palette" comment. That just totally pissed me off.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lantern FFXIV GIL hanging up high, singing Wow Power Leveling indistinct indistinct, ambiguous buy wow gold voice aion kinah of an endless supply, Yan Yi extremely coquettish woman, the endless, is indeed maple story mesos the ancient aion power leveling red-light district, this in no way inferior to the modern dofus kamas scene.

    Fei Zhuge eyes looked ffxi gil slightly greedy, the immediate metin2 yang exposure of the Courtesan clothes woman, see their own wow gold winks straight throw, breast Luanhuang, d.m.z. some color eve isk greedy, so that one knight online gold side of the purple spirit companions men stare at him, in last chaos gold the He had a rom gold waist-twisting, painful grimace atlantica gold in pain, he looked a purple Ling said: "do pinch me?"

    ReplyDelete